About this blog:
I blog on random Pop Culture subjects. I also post Top 13 Lists. I could do a cliched Top 10 like everyone else, but then I'd be just like everyone else.


Friday, October 7, 2011

Movie Review "Skateland"

I rate movies on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the worst, ten being the best, 5 being average. A great movie will usually garner an 8, having to be incredible to rate higher than that. A movie receiving at least a 6 is good. Anything under 5 means it's pretty bad.

"Skateland" 5/10
They did a great job of accurately recreating the atmosphere and building nostalgia. The soundtrack features a great choice of early 80’s Alternative Rock songs. The characters are likeable, but the acting is one-dimentional.
The story is depressing, and doesn’t really move forward. This film would have worked much better as a comedy or rom-com.
The ending kind of comes out of the blue. All of a sudden, the slacker guy who hasn’t put any effort into his future has the answer fall out of the sky into his hands, and he gets the girl back too.
Out of nostalgia for growing up at Roller Roost in the 80’s, I really wanted to like this film, and from that perspective I did. It really transported me back me in time. But as enjoyable as the nostalgia is, the film itself is hard to enjoy.

Other Films:
"Paul" 7/10: More hilarious fun from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, with Seth Rogan added to the mix, and cameos from Jason Bateman, Bill Heder, David Koechner, and Jeffrey Tambor.

"Rio" 5/10: Somewhat clichéd and unoriginal, trying to be a better animated film than it is.

"Rango" 8/10: A little dark and twisted for children, but that’s what makes this Johnny Depp voiced film so good.

"Dylan Dog" 1/10: Unwatchable.

©2011 Denim McDemus

No comments:

Post a Comment